3 wins in 7 days for Senior Footballers

Our Senior Footballers had a magnificent 7 days starting last Wednesday as they picked up the maximum 6 points from three league matches, putting them right back in the mix at the business end of the AFL2 table. After the disappointment of a Championship loss to Fingallians at the start of May, a massive concentration was put on these three matches.

They started off the week last Wednesday in Bohernabreena against St. Annes in what is always a tough match, especially away. The lads came flying out of the blocks and Annes couldn’t keep up with the intensity of Ballinteer and some great scores by Robbie Gaughan and Ciaran Judge helped the lads to a 13 – 3 lead at half time. After a driving run through the middle and a one-two with Shane McCann on the edge of the square around the goalkeeper Davy Devereux finished to an empty net early in the second half to put Ballinteer out of reach as the game finished 1-21 to 0-09 points, with all Ballinteer eyes now firmly placed on St. Marys on Saturday.

A soaking wet, windy Saturday saw the action move to Marley Park where they took on Marys of Saggart. It was a cagey start to the game, and the teams were trading scores until a sublime catch from Glenn Whelan on the opposition 45 after which he switched on the burners to leave his man for dead and a cool finish into the back of the net left Ballinteer 6 points up. However, Marys hit back and between the last 10 minutes of the first half and the first 5 of the second half, they hit 7 points without reply to lead by a point. Ballinteer flipped the game again though and some fine scores from Shane McCann, Sean Reilly and a very well worked goal by Aaron Bradshaw made sure Ballinteer got back in the lead and finished Marys off. 2-12 to 0-09.

The final game of a busy week came last night as the lads took on Na Fianna in Marley Park. Another cagey enough start from both teams and an early 3 point Ballinteer lead was pegged back by a goal from Na Fianna after 20 minutes, making it 0-03 to 1-00. Ballinteer popped 4 points over the bar before half time though including a frees from Shane McCann and a great Paul Farrell score and lead at half time 0-07 to 1-01. Na Fianna got the first two scores of the second half but Ballinteer moved it up and gear and began to score some great points including a couple of left foot efforts from Aodhan Clabby. They ran out winners with a scoreline of 0-17 to -1-05 and completed a great weeks work, which leaves them 3rd in the table after 5 games.

Attention now turns to Erins Isle away on Wednesday 14th of June.