Junior B hurlers top their group as Junior As lose out to Vincents

The Jun A Hurlers  came up against a very strong and experienced St Vincent’s Team on Sunday morning in perfect playing  conditions for a championship match in Marley Park. Both teams were aware that a win would guarantee a quarter final spot. Unfortunately BSJ were missing a selection of experienced players in crucial positions through injury, exams and holidays. That said, credit is due to the lads who turned out and performed admirably.

Vincent’s pushed ahead in the early stages with a slight breeze in their favour. With a selection of former County players manning primary positions throughout the park their touch and skill levels were to be enjoyed by the hurling connoisseurs in the crowd. BSJ worked themselves back into the half with scores from Shane Corley, Danny Mc Carthy, Eoin Coffey and a well taken goal from Ciaran Brennan. However despite competing well in all areas of the field the deadly shooting accuracy of Vincent’s ensured that they went into the half with a four point lead. Minor players Eoin Fitzpatrick and Paddy O’Reilly shone brightly in the first period of play and more than held their own against their opposite numbers.

Vincent’s increased their stranglehold on BSJ into the second half and added a selection of unanswered points. However BSJ dug deep and some fine points were delivered by Josh Hogan and Colm Morrissey. With injuries taking their toll on BSJ changes had to be made but unlike the surplus of supplies available to Vincent’s, BSJ had limited numbers. Cormac Fenton was introduced for Eamonn Mc Keown and Simon O Reilly made his debut for the injured Danny Quinn.

Vincent’s emptied the bench and finished off the last few minutes with a selection of well taken points accompanied by a goal.

Special thanks to the Minor lads who kitted out. Eoin Fitzpatrick, Paddy & Simon O Reilly and Conor Meagan. It was very much appreciated by the management. Next Championship match is 7th July Marley 11am BSJ V O Toole’s

Junior B hurlers played their Championship game against Naomh Barrog on Sunday 14th of June in a glorious sunny Barrog Park. Johns had lost  their last championship game and were playing  away from home. Three changes from the last game, Osin MacCinnide in midfield, Michael Byrnes at half forward and Philip Browne making his championship debut for the Club, in goals.

Barrog started with a lot of energy and were making a lot of attempts at points and succeeding, their accuracy was excellent. But Johns showed up to play hurling on sunny afternoon, with Shane O’Connor, Osin MacCinnide and Conor Murphy winning a lot of ball.

Sean Murphy scored excellent goal after some great work by Denis Flanagan with Denis quickly following up with a point of his own. The long drive out to Barrog was soon forgotten. Points followed from Sean Murphy and his younger  brother Conor showing great maturity and lot of experience in adding 2 more points. Brian Dollard bustled in for another goal and then added point before half time. Barrog had added couple of points during the 1st half. But, with half back line really shining through in Barry Judge, Peter Flecther and Eoin Walsh, wining lots of dirty ball and working well together to release ball to the forward line.
Half time came, Philip Brown had made one excellent save and his puck outs were excellent, but the excellent save resulted in injury to his calf. The great club and team man Tom Hayes replaced him in the  2nd half. Scoring chances were being created at both ends with trio of Flanagan, Dollard and Murphy creating mayhem in the Barrog defence with their goalie pulling off some excellent saves. It was only matter of time that Dollard bustled through again to score another goal, his 4th for the season. Brendan Donnelly came on and created a great chance for Cian Morrissey, who once again had an excellent game and was unlucky not to score more in the afternoon. Kevin Croke was on in the forwards  at this stage and again was unlucky not to get another goal. Barrog rallied,  but the defense of Tony Dillon, Fiachra Power and Diarmuid Morissey cleared everything calmly. What went passed was dealt with in cool and calm manner by Tom Hayes.
Tommy Brady came on and did some good foraging, he was followed on to the pitch by Ciaran Clabby who chased down everything that came his way. Johns suffered a late scare with Barrog scoring a late goal in the dying seconds but held out to win 3-7 to 1-12.
This leaves them top of the group with a home 1\4 final in August. Next up league game is the 25th of June away to Lucan in the league. All support welcome