Late Drama as Senior Hurlers beat Faughs in Championship

Ballinteer Senior Hurlers had a fantastic win on Friday night, over Faughs, in a Dublin Senior Hurling Championship Group 2 tie in O’Toole Park.

Ballinteer played with the hill and a strong wind in the opening period, and used this advantage to good effect, racing into an early 4-2 lead with scores coming from Aodhan Clabby, Glenn Whelan, and the excellent James Gilligan (2). Ballinteer then struck the opening goal of the game through Joe Maher, after fantastic play by Fearghal Duffy and Kevin Barry. Further scores were tagged on by Aodhan Clabby (free), Joe Maher, and Feargal Chambers, before Faughs responded with a goal of their own in the 18th minute. Ballinteer again tagged on scores through Fearghal Duffy, Cian Dolan and Aodhan Clabby (2 frees), to leave the game at 1-11, to 1-04 at half time.

Faughs hit their purple patch early in the 2nd half. With the hill and wind, they were in the ascendancy, and tagged on eight consecutive points after half time, to lead by 1-12 to 1-11 after 44 minutes. Ballinteer showed great character to respond against the elements, and hit back with 2 scores from Joe Maher, who was magnificent for Ballinteer throughout. Faughs and Johns then traded scores (Fearghal Duffy with the Ballinteer score), before Faughs added two more scores to lead by 1-16 to 1-14 in injury time. However Ballinteer weren’t finished yet. With almost the last puck of the game, Duffy pounced on an error at the back by Faughs, after great work by Oisin Power, and the renowned footballer was able to kick to the net, to give Ballinteer the win.

Best on the Night for Ballinteer were; Donal Gormley, David Harney, Keith Nolan, James Gilligan, Joey Maher and Fearghal Duffy.

The result leaves Ballinteer sitting 2nd in the group, with a final group game to play against Lucan, to be played after Dublin’s involvement in the All Ireland series comes to an end. Victory in that game would seal a quarter final place.