Senior footballers overcome Cuala to advance in Championship


Our Senior footballers took on Cuala on Saturday evening in O’Toole Park in the first round of the Senior Football Championship and dug deep in the last few minutes to advance to the last 16 with a four point victory.

The teams traded two points each at the start before a Fearghal Duffy free put Ballinteer ahead. Then soon after came the moment of the match. Peter O’Curry fetched a ball out of the air and delivered a fantastic long ball right into the chest of Shane McCann who had already turned his man. Bearing down one on one with the goalkeeper, McCann lobbed a perfect shot over the keeper who could only look on in despair as the ball bounced over the line for the first goal of the game. Cuala had a good response though and traded points with Ballinteer – Ciaran McCabe and Fearghal Duffy got the scores. Cuala, however, got two on the trot just before half-time and went in a point behind 1-05 to 0-07.

The Dalkey men came out fighting in the second half and tagged on a point to level the game up before Aodhan Clabby and Shane McCann pushed Ballinteer two points clear. Cuala however just wouldn’t go away and levelled it again. They then traded two points each again before supersub Luke Naughton popped up to to bury a one on one. A free from Robbie Gaughan with the last kick of the game put the icing on the cake as Ballinteer went on to win 2-10 to 0-12.

Our Junior As took on St. Monicas on Sunday morning in the Junior A Football Championship in Loretto Park and were involved in a fantastic battle which was badly effected by the wind. Playing with the wind in the first half Ballinteer didn’t manage to work up a lead as the sides went in level at four points each. However, the lads battled hard in the second half and a goal by Warren McDonagh with eight minutes to go sent the game into extra time – 1-05 to 0-08. Both teams got three points in extra including a couple of frees from Frankie Ward and the game finished level after extra time and the teams will have to do it all over again.

The Junior Bs were in action against Na Gaeil Oga in the Championship at the same time on Sunday morning and came a way with a magnificent three point win. The led 0-08 to 1-02 at half time and battled hard into a stiff breeze in the second half to eventually win 0-10 to 1-04. Great performances from Mark Kavanagh, DJ and Tony Gillick helped them to the win.

In the Iveagh Grounds on Sunday afternoon, our Junior C team took on St James Gaels and were very unlucky to be beaten after a last gasp goal for James gave them the victory by two points.